Joshua Aims for Comeback After Tough 2025
Anthony Joshua prepares for a return after a difficult 2025. The former heavyweight champion faced both personal and professional challenges last year.
In December, Joshua fought internet star-turned-boxer Jake Paul in one of the most controversial matches of the decade. He broke Paul’s jaw with a viral knockout, positioning himself for a big 2026.
Soon after, Joshua endured a tragic car accident that claimed two of his teammates’ lives. The crash left his future in boxing uncertain.
Family Concern Sparks Doubts
A family member revealed Joshua initially told relatives he would not fight again. He has since reconsidered, signaling hope for a return.
UK boxing fans have long awaited a showdown between Joshua and Tyson Fury. After Joshua’s victory over Paul, the matchup seemed possible early in 2026.
Fury Schedules April Return
Tyson Fury will face Arslanbek Makhmudov on April 11. The fight delays the long-anticipated clash with Joshua.
Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, confirmed the former champion now targets a July return.
“Originally, the plan was for Joshua to fight in March and then face Fury in August,” Hearn told Boxing Scene. “That’s not happening. He’s not fighting Fury next. He will return, I believe, in late summer, but he’s not ready for camp yet. He’s resting and preparing. I’m considering options for a July comeback, but we’ll only know when he returns to camp in the next few weeks or a month.”
Fury Fight Still Possible
Hearn said an all-British showdown remains a possibility. “We are open to a Tyson Fury fight, but it will likely happen at the end of the year or early 2027,” he added.
Fans can now expect Joshua to return mid-year, with hopes of a high-profile matchup later in 2026 or early 2027.
